Bears QB Mike Glennon: ‘The 2017 season is my year’

24 May


Mike Glennon signed with the Chicago Bears in March to be the starting quarterback. Then general manager Ryan Pace traded picks to move up one spot to draft Mitchell Trubisky with the No. 2 overall pick in the draft last month.

Speaking to reporters on Tuesday, Glennon said Pace told him after the draft “the 2017 season is my year,” per Zach Zaidman of the Bears’ Radio Network.

This year is my year and I’m not going to worry about the future,” added Glennon, noting he was surprised the Bears drafted Trubisky.

Jameis Winston‘s caddie the last two years insisted he would have signed with the Bears even if he knew they’d use the first-round pick on a quarterback.

I would still have [come] here,” Glennon said.

The Bears gave Glennon $18.5 million guaranteed reasons to play for Chicago, regardless of his competition at quarterback — when other suitors were reportedly dropping out before free agency.

While in March it appeared Glennon would have no competition for snaps, Trubisky’s presence changes the landscape. Glennon said he plans to focus on this year and not worry about future seasons.

“They brought me here to be the quarterback this year and nothing has changed so in my mind I have to go out and play well,” he said.

Glennon added the meetings are geared around him preparing to run Dowell Loggains’ offense in 2017. The 27-year-old noted that while he’s focusing on this season, he’ll still help educate Trubisky.

Am I going to help Mitch as much as I can? Definitely,” Glennon said. “But, my job is to win football games for the Chicago Bears.”

If Glennon doesn’t win football games for the Bears — and a lot of them — it won’t be his job for long.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply