‘TOTALLY FALSE!’ Manchester City are NOT preparing world-record bid for Monaco wonderkid Kylian Mbappe, talkSPORT told

26 Jul

Manchester City are NOT planning to hijack Real Madrid’s mega-money move for Monaco wonderkid Kylian Mbappe, talkSPORT have been told.

The 18-year-old was wanted by a host of elite clubs this summer after wowing with 26 goals and eight assists for the Ligue 1 champions last season.

Real are said to be in pole position to sign him, with reports from Spain claim they have tabled a world-record €180million bid for the France international, although Monaco have denied a fee has been agreed between the clubs.

Reports in the English press on Wednesday morning claimed Man City were ready to enter the race and were willing to match Real Madrid’s offer in a late move to sign the highly-rated youngster.

However, talkSPORT’s Manchester correspondent Dominic McGuinness insists those rumours are ‘totally false’ and the deal is NOT happening.

Manchester City have of course already dealt with Monaco this summer, landing defender Benjamin Mendy and midfielder Bernardo Silva from the French club for a combined £95million.

Monaco have seen three members of their title-winning starting XI leave so far this summer, with Mendy, Silva and new Chelsea midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko all moving to the Premier League.

Mbappe and fellow French forward Thomas Lemar, linked with a move to Arsenal, are expected to follow them out of the club before the end of the transfer window, but McGuinness insists Mbappe will not be joining his former team-mates to the English top flight.

“The word from City this [Wednesday] morning is that the story is just a bargaining tool to raise the transfer fee,” our man in Manchester told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.

“City believe he is off to Real Madrid and any late speculation is just to maximise the price.”

No comments yet

Leave a Reply